Reporting to: Lead Web Developer
Date advertised: August 2021
Employee Referral Bounty eligible
Zap-Map is the UK’s leading app and digital platform for Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers enabling them to search for charge points, plan journeys, pay on participating networks, and share updates with other EV drivers. We aim to provide EV drivers with peace of mind and the confidence to drive any length of journey in their EV.
We are a high growth company in scale-up phase, with a market-leading technology brand. With the financial backing of Good Energy Plc, the leading renewable energy company, Zap-Map’s mission is to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles and help the drive towards zero carbon mobility.
Zap-Map is the go-to data source for EV drivers in the UK and we provide market leading tools for current and prospective EV drivers. Our highly-rated apps have enjoyed rapid growth in the UK with over 400K downloads to date and are central to our digital strategy, serving over 130K monthly active users. With over 10 years of industry experience and unique EV data sets, Zap-Map also offers a range of B2B services including promotion, content, data and market insights.
Given the impact of Covid-19 on company operations across the UK, we are adopting a hybrid approach for remote and office working. While working from home is supported, all employees are based in the South West so that they can attend meetings in our BS1 office as required (typically over 1-2 days per week).
We are currently looking for a Senior PHP Developer to work closely with the Technical Architect, Data Scientist and Team Lead to provide significant development to all Zap-Map products, with particular responsibility for the building of a new EV routing platform to assist EV fleet customers plan and execute journeys in real time.
The role requires a combination of knowledge, experience and techniques including: commercial experience of working within a LAMP stack, and of using PHP frameworks to maintain and develop services within the Zap platform. Knowledge of microservices, AWS, and DevOps would also be advantageous.
The role provides a chance to play a key role in a new and disruptive sector, creating well-written software driving high-quality user interfaces in the EV space, with a particular focus on the development of a new platform and product. You would be joining the company undergoing rapid growth with plenty of opportunities to take on new responsibilities as the company grows.
As we are already the market leader in the UK, now is a great time to join us. We always welcome fresh ideas and we are positive about continuous improvements as our operation matures and the team grows. Professional development is encouraged, and training will be provided where required.
* 5+ years’ commercial experience with PHP, MySQL (or other relational databases)
* Commercial experience of PHP Frameworks (Laravel, Zend, Symphony, etc)
* Commercial experience of working with REST APIs
* Understanding of OOP and software design patterns
* Experience of unit testing / PHPUnit
* Use Git version control system, and of working in agile environment
* BSc in Computer Science (or equivalent)
* Knowledge/experience of Python, Java and/or Lambda functions
* Knowledge/experience of AWS and/or Google Cloud Services
* Experience of DevOps (Kubernetes, AWS, Jenkins, Nagios, etc)
* Knowledge/experience of e-commerce or payment gateway implementation
* Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-growing scale-up
* Willingness to work independently and as part of a team
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Commitment to accuracy, a logical approach and attention to detail
* A keen interest in writing clean, maintainable code
* Interest in keeping up to date with current and emerging web technologies
The EV market is growing at an extraordinary pace. Working at Zap-Map means working in an innovative, mission-driven organisation, where new ideas and developments need to be actioned and deployed quickly. As one of the leading aggregator businesses in this space, you will have the chance to join a dynamic team and actively contribute to a more sustainable future.
For the role advertised, we are offering a competitive salary plus new benefits package:
* £45,000 to £60,000 depending on experience
* Performance-related annual bonus scheme
* Pension & Benefits scheme
* Flexible working options available
* Professional training to extend your skills
How to apply
For more information about the role, contact us at the following email address or, to formally apply, send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com.
Direct applications only please. No CVs will be accepted or acknowledged from recruitment consultants.